Day five: 5 great apps to accommodate common dietary restrictions
Updated: Nov 30, 2019
It’s pretty much guaranteed that there will be a guest or two at your event, who will not be able to eat what you’ve prepared. Dietary restrictions are common for allergies and food sensitivities, however they are becoming more and more common as we make personal preferences in our diet for health or social responsibility reasons.
As a host, it's your responsibility to provide food options that accommodate each of your guests. To make this easier, incorporate a couple of these “everyone-friendly” appetizers into your plans, which will accommodate - vegan, dairy free, gluten free, health conscious, paleo, and keto. Your guests without food sensitivities will love them too!
1. Guacamole - serve with nachos and Mary’s crackers (which are made with seeds). Personally, I like my guac super simple with just the avocado, lime, garlic, and salt. The recipe link gets into details on how to pick an avocado, measurements for the ingredients, along with other optional items you could add based on your preference.
Added tips for keeping leftover Guacamole green: Save one of the avocado pits. When putting away the leftover guac, add the pit along with another squeeze of lime. This will keep it fresh overnight and has worked for me every time. However, if you forget to keep a pit or someone throws it away on you - try this method with water.
2. As pictured, pull together a Mezze board with colourful veggies and dip, Vegan cheese, Mary’s crackers, olives, pickles, dried fruit, and nuts. For the veggie dip, we'd recommend a hummus for sure, and if you wanted you could also put out your favourite veggie dip. It's worth noting that I've made the vegan cheese many times, and it's always a hit!
3. Vegan spinach and artichoke dip - new take on an old classic! Serve with rice crackers, nachos, and Mary’s crackers.
4. Buffalo cauliflower wings - there are many versions to choose from, this recipe happens to be gluten free.
5. Vegan Buffalo cauliflower dip - probably one of my new favourites! Serve with rice crackers, nachos, and Mary’s crackers.
Our next 12 Days of Christmas blog will include 6 non-alcoholic drinks to have available at your party.